Thursday, May 19, 2016

The weeks just keep getting better & better!

Brooke’s email address:


WAIT!  The weeks just keep getting better & better!


This week was so jam-packed with work, I feel like I could sleep for an entire week straight.  But ain’t no missionary got time for that!  And being busy made the time fly by and it was so amazing to have a lot of people to meet with!  An answer to my prayers!


2 people, in particular, that we met with this week really strengthened my testimony.  Both are just so awesome and accept everything we talk about – you can tell that they have been prepared to meet with us.  One guy came to our English class and then asked if he could meet with us because he was curious as to what our religion is all about.  So we have started meeting with him and the lessons have been SO amazing because he really is wanting to figure out for himself if God is really there and that He will answer his prayers.  I think the coolest thing about his guy, is that, this week, he talked about how it’s hard for him to have a strong testimony because he thinks too much with his brain instead of his heart.  And at that moment, I wanted to jump up and yell “HEY ME TOO!”.  Sometimes being a rational thinker gets in the way of just going forward with faith, but I am slowly but surely learning and was able to share experiences that helped me and I just know that I am meeting with him for a reason!!


The second person comes with a pretty interesting story.  Last week, we tracted and found this one lady that let us in.  We talked for a while about how awesome religion is and how important God is in our lives and she seemed like a legit, potential investigator we set up to meet with her again and that was that!  We set aside an hour for tracting before we met the lady this week.  We decided to use that hour before our meeting with her to tract the neighboring building until it was time.  Nothing was too out of the ordinary while tracting, but as it got closer to the time of our appointment, I suggested that we leave so we could be on time.  My companion said that we should finish the 3 apartments left on the floor and then we would go.  So we did.  And I am so glad we did!  The first 2 people weren’t home but the 3rd was. The guy that lived at the 3rd apartment answered the door and we explained to him that we were missionaries, that we believe in the Book of Mormon, etc.  After we introduced ourselves and why we were at his door, he was like, “wait, are you serious? This book really makes you happier?”  It sounds cheesy but those were his exact words!  And then he went on to say that he needs Jesus in his life and wants to become a better person.  After that, he invited us to come in so we could talk more… but we were so sad to have to decline and head to our program, but we set up with him for the next day.  Then we ran to go to our lesson.  We tried calling up to her apartment but no one answered.  We waited a few more minutes and then tried again – same thing.  I took that as a sign and so did my companion and we ran back to the neighboring apartment building.  When the guy opened his door, he laughed and then said “come on in!”.  We had such a great discussion with him after that and I cannot even tell you how amazing it feels to see something click inside someone when they hear the right sentence and you can see that it touched their heart.  And I’m not sure if it is fate or whatnot that led us to his apartment at the perfect time and that our prior appointment just so happened to cancel that made it possible for us to go back and meet with him, but I would most definitely give all the credit to Heavenly Father and know that He is leading us to each door and each person.  What I have learned thus far, is as long as we wake up in the morning with a willing heart, walk out the door with a willing heart, and keep pushing through with a willing heart, that good things are going to happen!


The above picture is a rose made by our friend Mark.  He makes these by hand! ISN'T IT SO BEAUTIFUL?!  He made one for both me and my companion.  

A FEW MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE WEEK!

  • An old man tried to pay us after we gave him a Book of Mormon!  After he refused to take the money back and closed the door, we slipped the money back under his door!  Haha! 
  • We met with a few members and they fed us! And when I say fed us, I mean they FED US!  (sending pics! – Pictures are of Stuffed Cabbage, a traditional Hungarian dish!

  • We were invited by an investigator (the Catholic man) to an Organ performance in the beautiful temple in the Belváros, or City Center.  It was so incredible and the whole time I was just waiting for the Phantom of the Opera to come down on a chandelier or something.  Haha!  Unfortunately, he didn’t…. but still, such an amazing experience! 

  • My companion and I went out tracting without jackets and then got totally drenched from a rainstorm! Sadly, I forgot my camera so we could not document it, but it was hilarious and all the Nénís were so worried about us freezing to death!
  • AND WE MADE SMORES with Timmi & Kitti!  Almost like home but just as fun!! 



And that is all I’ve got for this week!  It has been such a rollercoaster of ups and downs being out here on a mission.  Right now I would say I am on an extremely high “up” and I know that there will still be downs in the future. But this is the craziest, most unpredictable thing I have ever experienced in my many years (haha) but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. 



Anyway, I love you all!  So much… with all my heart!  I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for you.  I know I say it all the time, but I really mean it! 

Have an incredible week!


All my love,

Sok Szeretettel,


Gertsch Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment