Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Hello Happy in Szeged!




SZIASZTOK!!!

Having P-Day two days later was surprisingly easier for me that I originally thought!  I am feeling more and more comfortable with where I am and what I’m doing.  It is seriously crazy for me to look back at where I started and to remember how hard those first few weeks were for me, but now after 5 weeks, this city feels more and more like my temporary home!  I’m very glad to have moved on and can enjoy this incredible experience I have been so blessed to experience.  

There is not too much to write about this week, just a lot of tracting and walking, a lot of pastries, and a long list of tender mercies found in each day!

ANGUL ORA:  In English class, we did SPEED DATING and it was so funny!  It was really fun to see the people talking to each other in English and helping each other.


ZONE CONFERENCE:  This week we were back in Budapest!  Such a beautiful city.  


This time, we had Elder Leimer of the Seventy come and speak to us.  He gave me so much inspiration and motivation and it was much needed.  One thought he shared that touched me - and I have already applied to my work - is to have the perspective of God’s love with every interaction you have throughout the day.  It has been the most humbling and heart-warming change for me!  As a missionary it was a little different for me to develop a love for people I had never met before, but now as someone opens the door and I take (a metaphorical) step back and can see them as God sees them, I am so much more understanding and genuinely happy to meet them!  What Elder Leimer taught me is something I know I will apply in my life long after the mission.  
The amount of love God has for every person everywhere is so hard to comprehend, but as I try to love as He does, I feel it more that I ever have and it is what keeps me going throughout each week.  
I was also able to see my MTC companion, Kate!  I miss her and always love getting to see her!

QUICK STORIES:

  • I had to go to the bathroom really bad while we were going shopping at the mall, and I had to pay…. haha?  Something to get used to!
  • Our district got a referral for a guy that needed help cleaning his apartment and …. long story short - I may die from second hand smoke and I swear we could have been on the show “Hoarders”!!!  More details another time… haha!
  • I tried “Modartej” for the first time!  It is called “Bird’s milk” and may have made me lactose intolerant… TOTALLY WORTH IT!
  • I have begun cooking legit meals!  Making’ my momma proud!  It was about time I started eating more vegetables and less pastries, haha!  It’s really fun and if anyone has any recipes, I would love to make a book! #wifeme
  • Every morning I pray for happy people, like I’ve said in my past email, but this week - without fail - we have been put in the same path as several friendly people each day.  Just one the other day was a Neni (grandma) that we met while tracting.  After we told her we were missionaries, she put up a finger and then ran into her kitchen and gave us 2 apples.  Then we asked if she needed anything and if there was anything we could help her with, and she said “to come back another day and bring our bright smiles!” Oh and what made me love her even MORE was that throughout or entire conversation, she was standing there with nothing but pantyhose and no pants!  Total crackup!  But I live for the people that give me a story to tell!
  • said goodbye to King Elder and Bagley Elder this week.  Going to miss them and their energy and craziness and know that Hungary will miss them too!  Szeretlek Elderek!

And that is a close on my fifth week here in Hungary!  I feel so many changes both emotionally and spiritually and I’m liking how it feels!  Miss and love you all!  I pray of you ALWAYS and hope you have a great week!

Sok Szeretettel,

Brooke 

Answers to a few of Mom’s questions:

1.  What was the National Holiday that your P-day was moved back for?

Brooke - hahaha… to be honest… Im not exactly sure what the holiday was.  It was one of Hungary’s celebration of Independence from one of the wars they fought with another country.  A few people have tried explaining it to me but i get so lost because i have not learned any of that vocab.

2.  What was the holiday like?

Brooke - the National Holiday was cool!  It was celebrated for 3 days.  There was festival where they sold little trinkets and meat.  SO HUNGARIAN!  I loved it!  We hung out there for a long time handing out cards so we could dance to the music!  But everyone was out at the parks and walking around and in great moods, so I have loved the past few days!

3.  Have you become friends with any of the members of your branch?

Brooke - There is a girl named Kriszti that is a member and is super good at speaking English and we have basically become best friends.  We have a lot of the same interests and she and I would have been good friends outside the mission.  It is so cool to connect with someone you know you never would have met if you hadn’t have came on a mission!

4.  When are transfers?  Do you think you will get transferred or stay in Szeged?

Brooke - Transfers are in the second week of April so in about a month.  Everyone usually stays two transfers in the area they started in, so I think I will stay in Szeged another 2 months! I hope! I actually do want to stay in Szeged.  


I have finally just gotten everything down and where to go and the people in the branch, I feel like it would be hard to start over again.  But its a waiting game.. you know me and the unknown...Best friends! 
The Senior Couple comes this weekend so we are moving apartments but the one we are moving to is smaller and very cute!! It will be fun to get a change in the scenery and have a different experience.  

Brooke’s contact info:


Mailing address:  

Sister Brooke Gertsch
1122 Budapest
Hajnoczy Jozsef utca 14
Hungary

No comments:

Post a Comment