Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Week 15 Update (Week 6 in Hungary)

Brooke’s contact info


mail:  1122 Budapest
    Hajnoczy, Jozsef utca 14
          Hungary


Since this last week was 2 days shorter because of the holiday, I feel like I don’t have too much to write about!  But you know me, I can always write about something!  So here ya go :D

This week we moved into the Elder’s old apartment … it has been an interesting experience turning an apartment taken over by boys into an apartment for sisters, but it is really cute and it has been fun to get a change in the scenery!  Our week has been full of transporting our stuff back and forth and cleaning, but it really made the time fly!  The work is still work.  But I am LOVING meeting all the people we meet an still continuing to feel Him putting people in our paths, whether it be for 3 minutes or a possible future relationship with them.  Saturday night we had to run to the store, and this lady stopped us from buying the apples we had picked out and marched us to the ones that were on sale, and we ended up talking for like 10 minutes about Christ ands how incredible He is.  Turns out she is not interested, but having that opportunity to share testimonies (in the grocery store.. haha) and get a huge hug from a stranger was not simply coincidence.  We hope to run into her lots more at the Spar! (I found out this is the name of the store - C)

**On the subject of the grocery store...I am going to try cooking more and try to eat less like a poor college student, so if anybody has some easy recipes, SEND THEM MY WAY! Koszonom szepan 

But, BY FAR the best part of my week was Klara.  The first few weeks after being in Szedged, we started to hear the branch members talking about a woman from the church that was really sick and has been in the hospital.  My comp and I both agreed we would visit her when we could, but a couple weeks went by and we had gotten so distracted and preoccupied that we forgot about Klara.  One day during planning, I brought up maybe visiting her, and then we made a set-in-stone plan to go see her.  I am so glad we did!  The experience of visiting her was one of those moments that solidified that I am where I am supposed to be and being blessed with opportunities that are shaping me to be a better person.
Back to Klara… I always gravitate and look for people in need and strive to make them feel better in the best way that I can.  So this kind of service was right up my alley!  For starters, the hospital in Hungary are very different.  VERY different.  And the rooms on her floor were 4-5 people per room.  We were only given 5 minutes to visit, but I think the nurses gave us a little more time, bless their hearts.  We walked into the room and, I kid you not, Klara was by far one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen!  We introduced ourselves as missionaries and she immediately perked up and we got talking.  My Hungarian is still very limited, so my companion did a lot of the talking, but it was funny, Klara and I only broke eye contact a few times.  Her smile and spirit made me feel so warm inside and I hope I was able to return some of that!  She is only in her 40’s and I am not quite sure what happened to her, but I know that she is so strong and has such a beautiful soul and I am so lucky to have met her!
We are going to keep visiting her too and I really look forward to that!  I don’t know why exactly, but this experience really touched me and humbled me and I have not been able to stop thinking about her!  It makes me excited though, because this is only the beginning!  I have so much more time to meet people as inspiring and touching as Klara.  Every day is always a waiting game to see if I will come across certain people and I am actually starting to wake up each morning, excited to see what each day brings!


Spring is starting to arrive here in Szeged and it is finally proving it’s name as the “Sunshine City” and I can’t wait to show you when the flowers blossom!  I am still impatient when it comes to the language, I know it comes with time, but I just want to be able to strike up a conversation with someone or comfort someone if they are sick in the hospital!  I’m hoping to study even harder and put myself out there more and see a difference.

I cannot tell you enough, how much I love you guys.  I feel your prayers and support each and every day!  I am always filled with incredible gratitude at the thought of what I have at home.  Got to go share the good news that you get to be with your favorite people forever before I get to go back with mine :D

LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Sok Szeretettel,
Gertsch Nover (Brooke)

1 comment:

  1. Gertsch Nover!! When I was serving in Hungary I used to eat a lot of kolbasz with yellow paprika (the whole fruit, not the spice) and bread. But for cooking, get a member to show you how to make gombas paprikas or paprikas krumpli. Both are easy and fast to make, and the ingredients are everywhere. Of course, spaghetti and meatballs is easy, too. Try making meatballs with some ground diszno hus. If you haven't made meatballs, it's easy. Cut up a few cups of old hazi kenyer, mix it with daralt hus and an egg, maybe some hagyma, fokhagyma, and whatever spices you have. Use your hands to make balls, then fry them or bake them. If I remember right, Knorr makes some good sauce packets you can get at Spar or any ABC. Have fun and Isten alld meg a Magyart!

    ReplyDelete