Monday, August 29, 2016

I had a super busy week last week and never got last week’s email out!  There was a bad storm in Duna where Brooke is last week so I did not receive her email till Wednesday.  I just decided to send both week’s emails together!  - Chris (Brooke’s mom) 

Brooke’s email - brooke.gertsch@myldsmail.net

AUGUST 29th, 2016 

 FIRST WEEK OF TRANSFER #4!!  

Crazy!  I cannot believe I am on my fourth transfer!  As I said last week, my companion and I were given the opportunity to co-train here in Duna!  So on Wednesday we made our way up to Budapest and we were given our new missionary!  And we scored BIG TIME!  Hooper Nővér is so adorable and sweet and we all just clicked right away.  I will admit I was a little nervous to train because I felt like I didn’t know the language well enough.  But after one week, I feel a lot more comfortable and confident am really excited to improve more and more!  I think that I am the one who is getting the training because ever since we got Hooper Nővér, her “greenie fire” (“greenie” is a nickname for a brand new missionary) has rubbed off of bus!  We worked last transfer, but not this hard.  And it’s only been a week!  She is so positive and such a hard worker and has been a breath of fresh air for me.  
^^Brooke and her companions Brantley Nővér and Hooper Nővér

This week we talked to so many people.  And definitely did some creative finding!  On Saturday, it was a holiday here in Hungary, so nobody could meet so we had an entire day empty.  So we decided to tract on of the daunting 10-story apartment buildings with a whole bunch of apartments.  A lot of people were upset that we interrupted their day off, which was totally understandable.  The best part, though, was when we would brush off the harsh rejection and keep on going - that was when we found people.  One person let us in and we were able to talk about the Book of Mormon and the importance of families.  We also came across some very kind people. 
^^Erzsiber, a woman in the Branch in Duna.  I have so much love for this woman!

Each day, my testimony just continues to grow and grow when it comes to faith.  Only AFTER the trial of our faith are we able to see miracles that help to strengthen it.  As hard as it may sometimes be, it is most definitely worth it.  
^^ COOL STORY! so yesterday we were on the train going to budapest for zone training and this woman stops by us and is so excited to see the sisters. she is a member from a different city, Érd. So i ask if she would like to sit with us and then her and i get going and talk about a lot of stuff and before i knew it, the train ride was over and it had been an hour long conversation. i am nowhere near beginning to master the language, but i have come so far and would not be where I am today without the help of the Lord. The gift of tongues is a thing. And i love my people here in Hungary. 

Another story with finding this week, was actually with my ukulele!  President Szabadkai had challenged me to go out and play it and use it to help find people.  It took me a little while to gather up the courage.  This week we went to visit that one member I have talked about who is in the hospital.  So I brought my ukulele and ended up playing for a room full of old ladies.  Since I was able to do that, I figured I was ready to play for the world!  It was weird starting off.  We sat on a bench in the city center and I started playing hymns and singing them in Hungarian.  It was actually really entertaining to see who noticed us.  When people would slow down and look over, my companions would run over to them, with a Book of Mormon in hand.  We handed out quite a few books from our little experiment and the best was when we met Zsuszi.  She is a younger mom with two little kids and her little 5 year old daughter came running up to me and sat down and listened to a song.  Then after it was done, I handed the Ukulele to her and let her play for a little.  By then, my companions had started talking with Zsuzsi and she was so open and took a Book of Mormon!  Something felt so right with this family and I am so excited to see where things of with them!  
This week has been full of so many miracles and I look back and feel such appreciation for this opportunity I have to serve the people here.  And to able to serve with the people I am serving with.  
I AM THE LUCKIEST!

I ALWAYS SAY IT, BUT I ALWAYS MEAN IT!

I REALLY AM

I love these people so much and can’t imagine being anywhere else. 
^^Stormy day in Duna! 

Tele vagyok szeretettel (I am full of love)

Szeretlek Titeket (I love you all)

Gertsch Nővér


AUGUST 24TH, 2016
^^Our friend Viktor in the branch got his mission call this week, to SCOTLAND IRELAND! so happy for him!!! 

Because we emailed so late last week, not too much happened since! It has actually been a rougher ending to the week.  EVERY SINGLE lesson we had set up was cancelled.  A couple of our investigators are not progressing and we havent been able to meet with others.  Although it was a hard week, we were ready to find!  And then all of a sudden, we got sick!  Being sick as a missionary is probably one of the hardest things ever!  As we sat in our apartment, I felt so guilty that I was spending my time inside, instead of out helping and finding others to teach.  But during one of my studies, I found a helpful scripture.  It was in Mosiah 4:27 and it said:

“And see that all these things are done in order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength.  And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order”

After reading that, I felt comforted.  I am a human and being and getting sick just sometimes happens.  So it was real humbling realizing that and not getting so upset.  I think the most important part about this scripture, is that - even on top of not running faster than you have strength - is how much it focuses on diligence as well.  Laying in bed all day doesn’t make me think of diligence, but if I do all I can to get better as soon as possible and start moving when I can it will all be good again!  
Sorry this week was uneventful, but today is a new day!  This week is going to be a new week!  I have faith that it will be full of little miracles and I can’t wait to see what they are!
Sending all my love!

Sok szeretettel, 

Gertsch Nővér









No comments:

Post a Comment