Monday, September 19, 2016

Brooke Gertsch Mission Update - SECOND CHANCES

Brooke’s contact info - brooke.gertsch@myldsmail.net

September 19, 2016

THIS WEEK - where to begin!  After several weeks of having my faith tried, we began to find people to teach.  I have such a testimony that when we push through the hard times and continue with faith, that we will be blessed and rewarded.  There was a surprise mini-transfer this week and Brantley Nővér was moved to another city!  It was very hard and sad to see her leave, but I know that I will be seeing her again very soon and she is going to do great in her new city!  So much love for her.  There always has to be change or else we wouldn’t grow!  So now I am on my own training, but it has already been a positive thing.

^^saying good bye to Brantley Nővér

On Tuesday, we were tracting a 10-story building and we got to the LAST level and the LAST door and Gábor answered the door.  He let us share our message and took a Book of Mormon.  Turns out the missionaries had knocked on his door in the past, and he just did not understand what they wanted and he did not have a lot of time then.  So we were his second chance!  WE are going to start meeting with him so I am extremely excited to see where it goes.  
The next day while tracting, a sweet Néni named Julianna let us in.  She had ALSO met with the missionaries back in the 90’s and had the old version of the Book of Mormon translated into Hungarian so we were able to give her the new and improved (a better translation into Hungarian) version. 

With a miracle each day,  I have gotten back into the habit of leaving the apartment each morning expecting a miracle.  Having the hope and faith that if I go out, willing to talk to everyone and anyone, that Heavenly Father is going to put people in my path.  Not only were the people we found given a second chance to hear the gospel, but I feel like I was too.  I feel myself refocused and re-energized and it was very much-needed reminder of what I am doing here and why.  

^^ making lots of friends in Hungary!

ANOTHER growing experience was on Sunday evening.  After dinner, we went out on the streets to talk to some people.  We ended up talking to this guy sitting on a bench  As soon as we started talking, he could tell we were Americans so he started speaking english.  I have to admit - talking to people about the gospel in english is such an interesting experience now for me!  Anyway, so I asked about his religious beliefs and he went on to tell us that he thinks that the commandments are rules that help people to live in harmony but nothing more.  That there is no one person that could have created every single thing.  “God is impossible”, he said.  He continued to tell us how he respects Jesus Christ and that he was a good man, but just a man.  And no matter how many times we would try to share what we believed and our testimonies, he basically just told us we were wrong.  But through it all, I have to say that I am so thankful to have met that Atheist man.  Although I know that I probably did not change his views or opinions, that experience strengthened MY testimony immensely.  When he said that Christ was “just a man” - I wanted to go climb a mountain and let everyone know the truth - that Christ is our Savior and the Son of God.  When he talked about no life after death, I felt so sad for him.  All of the knowledge that I am gaining here on my mission has made me the happiest I have ever been.  And I would be so lost with out it.  

^^ Hooper Nővér and I both love Chocolate Milk!!

Free agency is one of the hardest things for me to accept since being here on a mission.  But it is such an example of how much God loves us and it’s so much that He has given us that opportunity to choose for ourselves.  And I am going to keep doing my best to share with people how much Heavenly Father loves them!

^^ Watching a lightning storm! 

I hope all is well!  I am thinking about and praying for you always!

Sok szeretettel, 

Gertsch Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment