Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 10 - Mama...I MADE IT TO HUNGARY!!!


Brooke’s contact info:


Mailing address:  

Sister Brooke Gertsch
1122 Budapest
Hajnoczy Jozsef utca 14
Hungary 


I am about to burst with an overflow of information, so I apologize if this goes way too long or doesnt make sense! I know the fam wants to know every single detail, I will try my best haha.

DAY 1 - Travel.
SUCH a crazy and exciting day. We stayed up all night packing and at 3:30 AM, we left  the MTC and headed for the train. From the train, we took 2 buses and then finally made it to the airport. *keep in mind, there were 9 of us missionaries, all with 3 big suitcases. Chaos.

We had a flight from Salt Lake to Atlanta, and then from Atlanta to Amsterdam. We FINALLY got to call family for a little bit, wish I could have talked to every single person. But I missed their voices so bad! I also got to eat Panda Express and ride on some planes, so I was the happiest girl ever. As we got on the super small airplane at the Amsterdam airport, it was full of people- all speaking different languages. My district just sat there listening to the conversations. I had a moment of panic as i sat there wondering if everyone was speaking Hungarian, because if that was the case, I knew NOTHING and kinda wanted the plane to take me back to the MTC right then and there so I could learn some more! I looked out the window and saw clouds and was able to relax. I dont think it ever really hit me that I was actually going to Hungary until we flew over it and the flight attendant announced that we were about to land in Budapest. Hungary had always been such a distant idea and now I was about to take a first step in my mission! It was all about to officially start.

In Budapest Airport with President Szabadkai and his wife and the APs
We got into the airport and as we walked out of baggage claim, we were approached by two smiling faces (Our Mission President, President Szabadkai and his wife) and some much needed hugs! I had only known them for a minute, but knew I was going to be okay and I was totally going to love them. After the airport was the mission home in Budapest. So I pretty much died. WOW. Hungary is phenominal. We seriously had one minute there and then were taken by the APs to go exchange money for Hungarian money, forints. I was going to try to explain to you the difference, but I still have yet to figure that out but I can tell you is a whole lot different than money at home! I spent 1300 HUF on groceries if that helps ya haha. After we had interviews with Pres. Szabadkai. He is so amazing. He really is. So genuine and has the biggest heart. After the interview, it all sort of became a blurr. I went out with a Sister Training Leader and she had me start STREET CONTACTING. After 3 hours in the country. I was so nervous and exhausted I think I might’ve cried(?) This whole thing is so out of my comfort zone! But the Sister was so sweet and and encouraging and I gave out 3 cards!!! WOOHOO! We came back before dinner and I was so tired. They gave us papers where we were supposed to write our mission goals and I definitely fell asleep while writing. I dont even know what time it must’ve been back home, I didnt even know what day it was. 
Dinner at President Szabadkai's home on first night in Budapest
DINNER was bomb. Sister Szabadkai made it all by hand and it was so nice to have a homemade, hungarian meal. First course was fruit soup. It was kinda like a pear puree with cherries in it. I feel like Bri totally would have loved it and I cant wait to come home and make it for him! Then we had a casserole dish with like chicken, rice, cheese, and sour cream. All I can say is that I will be so fat by the end of the mish, no doubt! The 3 hours of "sleep" on the plane and the jetlag from the past 48 hours started to hit me. every time I blinked, my eyes would stay shut for at least 30 seconds. I probably wasnt even there after dinner! What a good impression. whoops... Anyway, so they took us up the hill to Buda Castle, which was absolutely breathtaking. Across the Danube, we had a beautiful view of Parliament and the entire city. As scared as I was to start this all, I couldnt help but feel so blessed to get to do this work in such an incredible place. After our intro to the city, we headed over to a really nice hotel and crashed the moment my head hit the pillow. 

First day touring Budapest
Buda Castle in Background 
DAY 2- A Whole Bunch of New. 
Started this day off with a few "lasts" and bunch of "firsts". Last breakfast with the district. I miss them so much. Spending 2 months, 24/7 together really made us family. and after the "sorting hat meeting" we all parted ways! :( I get to see them in 2 weeks though, so thats exciting. 
Of course, I am always being blessed. I was given a new companion, Giullian Nővér and we were assigned to serve in SZÉGED (aka the prettiest city ever). Giullian has only been out for 6 months and is already training- which shows you how smart and great she is with the language. She is so sweet and encouraging and optimistic and is exactly the person I need at this point in my life! I have been sick with a horrible cold and she has been so kind and thoughtful and let me sleep lots, so hopefully this next week I will be better! I just love her. Shes the best of the best.

McDonalds in Train Station 
I attached the picture of the McDonalds we went to at the train station. NICEST MCDONALDS EVER AHHH. like am i in heaven or something? I ordered my first meal in Hungarian and was super stoked about that. The McChicken tasted a little different, but they probably just used real chicken lol. 
When we arrived in Széged, we were met by the 4 Elders in our district, and they are Murdock, King, Martindale, and Bagely. All are so crazy and fun and I know that we are going to have so much fun together this transfer! Just a little note about our apartment- its super huge! and has a really nice bathtub. my room is up in the little loft and its so nice and cozy. 

I do not have an actual mattress- its a little mattress pad on a wooden frame, but I have been so tired, it feels great!


One thing that is crazy to me, is that I think its a European thing, but there is one room by the bedroom that has the sinks and shower in it and then the tinniest little room by the front door where the toilet is. The light in the toilet room is broken so when I have to go to the bathroom in the night, I have to grab my tiny little flashlight and stumble across the house. ANOTHER thing. haha. So you know how we have toilet "bowls"? Well the toilet we have is more like a toilet "plate". NO LIE. We joke and call it the "observation deck" haha and you pull a rope to flush. I would take a picture to help expain better, but I thought that wouldnt be very appropriate haha. It is an adventure to say the least:)

DAY 3- Exploring Széged.
My trainer and I have both never served in Széged before, so this first week we just tried to get to know the city and find our way around! Széged man. INSERT HEART EYE EMOJIS!!!!!! I dont know if I have ever been so obsessed with a city. Its definitely up there with San Fran! I just know that I will have a thousand pictures by the end of this transfer, so be ready. 



Brooke in 1st area - SZEGED
Now onto missionary stuff. haha. We are in charge of Új Széged, and are supposed to "white wash" the area. White washing is where there are two new missionaries in the area and they re-open a city that currently has no current investigators. It is really hard for me because we spend our days tracting and knocking on doors and getting constant rejection. I know it has only been a week, but it is starting to take its toll on me! BUT we do have a few activities we do during the week that get us involved with church members and investigators that are so much fun. Theres Angul Ora, where we get to teach english classes! Im super stoked because I CAN TOTALLY SPEAK ENGLISH! And sportnap, where we play soccer with anybody that shows up. I pulled out my "go-go-gadget" legs and skills from back in the day, and it was one the highlights of my week! 
Sveged Cathedral
This first week has been a real shock. I have not been able to understand what anyone is saying, not to mention all the signs and streets and foods. I know it is a part of the culture transition, it has just been a real hard adjustment that I am still working on! But I have learned that as long as I try to speak and try to understand what people say- instead of give up entirely- my experience and confidence in the language will progress. I just need to buy a shirt that says "work in progress" and wear it every day ahahah. 

2 familiar faces :) 
Okay so if i went into detail about every single day, this email would go on forever. and now I only have an hour and a half to email!

 But a few more things:

-PÉKSÉGS. AKA BAKERIES. will be the source of my obesity here in Hungary! There are like 3 on every corner and they smell so good every time we walk by them. I love bread. There is something about bread in Europe. It just tastes SO REAL. Wish I could send some home! 

-If anyone knows me, they know I love Top Ramen noodles. and I just so happened to find the hungarian version called SMACK and it is close enough. So ive had that on the rainy days and it is just like home:)

-Hungarian Toilet Paper is scented.

-If you dont wear tights in the cold, the nénis (grandmas) will yell at you and tell you that you will not be able to have babies… 

-there is no ice...I miss ice...mom you would die….

-Smoking. Everywhere. I have never experienced so much second-hand smoke in my life. Makes me sad and scared that people will not be willing to give it up.

-The hardest thing Ive learned.
I love smiling. I usually am smiling like all the time. And because I cannot speak the language, I decided that I would just smile at everyone and make their day because thats all I could do! But I have been trying that since day one, and have yet to get someone to smile back at me. The Hungarian people are a very different people, with a lot that has happened to them and that is happening to them right now, and I totally get that. I just miss the random strangers that will walk by and smile back or be the first ones to smile at me back at home. No one can keep me from smiling though, its the only thing Ive got at the moment! 


All in all, I will not lie. This has been the hardest week of my life! On top of all of the chaos, I have been sick and really just wanting my mommy. And have legit thought about going home. I knew that it was going to be hard, I just didnt know how much. But although I have felt weak and scared and alone, Prayer has been my source of comfort! I am praying every second of every day and have seen tender mercies and "csodas" or miracles each day too. I know He is aware of me and I am going to power through the next few, hard weeks with His help. I love my Savior and know that I have been sent to a people that need to hear of his message and cant wait to see the Light of Christ be put in peoples lives. I miss you all so much, but feel your prayers and support always! This may have been a kind of negative email, but I am so happy and know that by being here, I am showing my Heavenly Father just how much I love Him! Have a great week and I will talk to you next week!!! 

Sending you the biggest hugs,
Szeretettel,
Gertsch Nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment