Monday, February 29, 2016

Week 12 Update - Hello 20!!!



 Brooke’s contact info:
Mailing address:  
Sister Brooke Gertsch
1122 Budapest
Hajnoczy Jozsef utca 14
Hungary 

Halo, Sziasztok!

First off, again, I just want to thank all of you and especially those that reach out and email me each week.  I have never felt so strong & capable in my life and I know it is because of you.  So, from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely thank you! Last P-day gave me such an emotional & spiritual boost that was really needed!  You guys are the very best and I love love love you!!!
Brooke is 2-0 !!!
So this week - THIRD week in Hungary.  Almost a month!  Crazy.  

I celebrated my birthday yesterday! Hard day being away from my other half & best friend on our 20th birthday, but I know we have plenty more in the future to look forward to! But the card & package were delivered on Friday and I DID wait to open it until my birthday!!!  THANK YOU FAM!!! I am so excited to sleep with my pillow (hand sewn by Courtney :) ) & wear my rain boots. We bought macaroons, my incredible comp. made me a cute little breakfast, and I got to spend my day with the amazing church members and elders in our district.  Overall, a really different, but special birthday! 
One I will never forget!  I still feel 15, haha…
Birthday Boots
Birthday Breakfast
ALMA 37:36 - “Yea and cry unto God for all thy support: yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest, let it be in the Lord; let thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.” 

I shared this scripture in a lesson we had this week, hoping it would touch the person’s heart and inspire an increase of faith in Christ, but I was so surprised when they read it and MY heart was so full- having a sure, absolute knowledge that I have someone to run to; that knows what the heartache of homesickness feels like and has experienced rejection - far worse rejection then I have experienced - and really knows me.  I have felt as I have tried my very best to put my focus on Christ and His work, my eyes are opened to the little tender mercies each day, I am a whole lot happier, and I know that comes from the Spirit.  As the cheesy missionary that I am, I challenge you guys to try to apply this scripture to your lives and i can promise you will see and feel a difference! 
Szeged, Hungary
This week, I prayed lots for a happy week and I got one! It was full of crazy adventures and experiences I wouldn’t have had any other place than on my mission here in Hungary.  I won’t go into detail about each story (for now) but this week, I had my first real Hungarian meal, was literally stuffed with food, but don’t regret it one  bit!  
We have started tracking Csaladihaz’s, or family neighborhoods, and are meeting a lot of interesting people!  We met a devil worshipper that creeped me out so bad, but I can laugh about it now! 
Tracting in Csaladihaz's

 I made a friend with a cat that we found 2 days in a row that would follow us down the street.  
Brooke makes friends everywhere she goes!
And I got SO many smiles this week!  Once Gillian Nover, my companion, was telling me a funny story and I was laughing and as I did, this old man I made eye contact and was taken aback and did the cutest shy smile!  It was so cute -  I wish I could have taken a picture!  I have decided to smile at babies and little kids every single time and always get a smile or wave back.  I have decided that it was silly of me to get so upset over the whole smiling thing.  People have hard lives and a hard and difficult past and are not used to interactions with strangers.  I am learning that once I let go of my own worries and continue smiling, I can look for opportunities to find those that need a little something to brighten their day.  I am trying the whole “looking outward instead of inward” thing and can truly attest that it’s a life-changer!  Even if a smile isn’t given in return, do I regret smiling?  Haha... NEVER!!! I feel like Buddy the Elf here, it’s hilarious. :) 


I tend to be an expectation-setter with pretty much everything in my life.  I couldn’t really set any expectations for the mission because it was all so unknown.  All I can say was this was/is nothing like I expected!  At first, that frustrated me.  I had no control of anything around me and that’s never happened to me before!  But after a few weeks of being here, it is not even a question that this was the right decision for me!  I LOVE HUNGARY, and I love my Heavenly Father more than anything and will do all he needs me to do here on my mission (& afterwards too).  Putting all my trust in Him has not been easy for me, but now that I have, my attitude and perspective has changed completely.  and I know that with it only being a few weeks, I’ve just started to scratch the surface!  Excited for the future!
Branch House in Szeged, Hungary
I cannot say it ENOUGH how much I love you all!  My heart is nothing but full at the thought of home.  I hope all is well with you and send you all my love!  Have an incredible week & smile at a stranger for me this week!!! :) 

SZERETLEK MINDIG
Brooke :) - Gertsch Nover

and lastly - a BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT to:

- Grandma Jeanne - Happy Birthday to you and Thank you for the card!  I love you!!!
- Happy Birthday to my babies - Ireland (cannot believe she is 1!!!) & Scarlett!!  
- of course - Alison Wendy!  I hope you partied hard for me!
- and to my big brother Scotty!  You are getting to be an old man… haha!

Sending you all extra birthday love!!!  XOXOXO

FOOD I ATE THIS WEEK:
  • a GOURMET grilled cheese: smoked cheese in a croissant… Mom you would die, you have to come try one… haha!!!
  • sushi! Well… sort of.  It was little vegetables rolled in rice & seaweed and then some salmon.  Almost.  Might want to just wait for California sushi now that I think of it!






No comments:

Post a Comment