Monday, May 1, 2017

I'm going to sing! Brooke Gertsch Mission Update 4/24/17

Brooke’s email - brooke.gertsch@myldsmail.net

Brooke and her new companion -  Day Nővér
“In this life, we are all just hiking up the mountain.  We can sing as we climb, or we an complain about our sore feet.  Whichever we choose we still have to do the like.  I have decided that singing makes a lot more sense.” 

I heard that quote awhile back and it stuck with me.  I have learned time after time that we can choose how we see situations and how to react to them.  It also reminded me of a Hannah Montana song (don't judge!) that said “life’s what you make it, so let’s make it rock!” As cheesy as that just was, it is so true, and that is going to be my perspective until the end - I’m going to sing!


Anyway… This week!

So incredibly crazy and busy.  TRANSFERS were this week and I had to say goodby to some very special people.  Sister Vielstich and Sister Mason went home.  As sad as I was to have them leave, I am so incredibly blessed to have met those two and learned so much from them and truly have gained two eternal best friends  People on the mission change your life!  Not even worried because we will always be close.  

Brooke with her MTC companion (and now great friend) Sister Mason 
Brooke and one of her former companions Sister Vielstich

So blessed to have so many wonderful companions!!! 


We got back from Budapest and then went straight back for MLC (a leadership meeting) and it was so much fun to see all of my people and I had a flashback to the MTC as I looked around the room and saw all of the Elders I was with from the MTC and we were all speaking Hungarian!  I can remember back to the days when we sat in a stuffy classroom and were learning (well, attempting to learn) this crazy language.  We have come such a long way.  Can I go back please!?!



I feel like the topic of this letter is how much I love my people!  I just really do.  And I could go on forever.  This last Saturday was the 30th anniversary of the church being here in Hungary.  The branch had a special program were some of the oldest members told their conversion stories and shared pictures.  I couldn’t help but cry because the Hungarian people are such a special people.  they have gone through so much and they have impacted my life forever.

 this is the program for the 30th anniversary program the branch put on
I could not even begin to imagine serving anyone but the Hungarians.  I feel like my life has been changed as I have watched these members stay strong and live the gospel even though the world around them does not really accept it.  They are my spiritual giants!


Sorry for rambling today.  I can’t stop.  My heart is so full of love for the people around me. These next few weeks are so jam-packed and I am a tad bit nervous at how fast the time will fly!  I may have little freak outs, but I am still going to make the best of what I’ve got.  

Sad to say goodbye to Sister Mason - but excited to be roommates with her and Sister Swenson at BYU in a few months!! Best friends made in the mission!
Love you all so very much.  You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Stay happy!!

Sok Szeretettel, 

Gertsch Nővér  

A few pics Brooke sent me of her apartment:




1 comment:

  1. Nice little apartment. Thank you for posting her letters. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete